*Migraine-: Pain management by home remedies (Ayurvedic View)*
Migraine headaches are commonly defined as episodic or recurrent severe headaches, typically of a throbbing or stabbing nature, usually on one side of the head, the neck or behind the eye.
~~Migraine pain commonly lasts for about 6 to 48hrs.
~~Migraine is triggerred by some factors which results into excessive stimulation (constriction and sudden dilatation) of blood vessels in the head.
~~Migraine may or may not be preceded by an aura; aura may cause visual disturbances such as flashing lights, Zig-Zags, sparkles or blurring of visual field.
~~Migraine is associated with nausea, vomiting, dizziness and or cognitive disturbances.
~~Patient may also experience chills, sweating, fatigue and weakness etc.
Improper metabolism, Suppression of natural urges, anger , jealousy, grief, poor elimination, intake of dry, pungent and salty food, intake of polluted food, mental and physical stress, viewing of TV for long periods, reading with insufficient light, sleeplessness etc.
B. Origin of migraine headache-:
Due to the causative factors, Pitta Dosha obstructs the flow of Vata dosha in brain, causing throbbing pain.
C. Pain Management-:
1. Avoiding the cause and trigger factors.
2. Keeping a diary record of specific foods eaten, environmental exposure, sleep patterns may help to identify personal trigger factors.
3. Sneha nasya therapy at home-: Sneha nasya, instillation of medicated oils to the nostrils by Shadbindu tailam or Anu tailam yield significant benefits .
4. Apply a paste of freshly ground clay or freshly ground sandalwood to the forehead, let dry, rub off by hand and wash.
5. Mix ¼ teaspoon of clove powder with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon oil. Apply this paste on the affected area for 20-30 minutes.
6. Add chamomile powder to 1 cup of boiling water.Transfer the liquid to a cup.Drink when hot. It gives fast relief from migraine.
7. Take ½ glass of carrot juice.Add ½ glass of spinach juice.Mix well.Drink this juice twice daily.
8. Grind 10-12 grains of black pepper and 10-12 grains of rice with water to make it a paste. Apply this paste on affected area of the head for 15-20 minutes.
9. Sugar powder 16 parts, Vamshalochana 8 parts , Pippali (long pepper) 4 parts , Ela (Cardamom) 2 parts, Cinnamon – 1 part. Make fine powder and mix it , keep in tight moisture free container.Take half teaspoon thrice daily with honey.
10. Aromatherapy- Pitta calming aromas typically flower fragnances like Lily, Cloves, Lotus, Lavender, Peppermint, Rose, Sandalwood are beneficial.
11. According to ayurveda Virechan(Laxative therapy) is an effective way to reduce excess pitta. Castor oil or warm milk with ghee or triphla at bedtime is helpful.
12. Practicing meditation is highly recommended.
13. Morning and Evening walk followed by brisk exercise is recommended.
14. Avoid hard physical exertional exercises and aggresive sports competitions.
15. Avoid working for long hours continuously; take short breaks. Have a good night’s sleep(8hrs) in a dark room.
~~Apple , mango , papaya, cheeku, guava.
~~Salad 1hr before lunch, 1hr before dinner.
~~Buttermilk , boiled rice sauted with cinnamon, cumin seeds and garlic or asfoetida are good in the daytime.
~~Have warm and easily digestible foods, boiled and steamed vegetables, soups, vegetable juices, porridge, brown rice and whole-wheat flour.
~~Avoid yogurt, especially at night.
~~Avoid refined ,oily, spicy, cold ,sour foods(fermented, pickled) and stale food, aerated drinks.
~~Avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, smoking.
~~Avoid cheese, chocolate and wine.
E. Yogasanas and Pranayama:
Hastapadasana, Setu Bandhasana, Marjariasana, Paschimottanasana , Bhastrika and Anulom-Vilom Pranayama.
NOTE: When suffering from a migraine attack:
~~Lie down in a dark, quiet place & get some sleep.
~~Drink only water .
~~Apply hot or cold compresses.
~~ Consult doctor.