***Depression – An Epidemic***
According to the World Health Organization(WHO), India is one of the most depressed countries in the world with a 36%(highest for a country) of Indians likely to suffer from major depression at some point in their lives. Today people talk about taking anxiety medication with the same ease as one would talk about taking blood pressure medication.In January, actoress Anushka Sharma said that she had sought treatment for anxiety and depression. Around the same time, her colleague Deepika Padukone too wrote about battling anxiety and depression. A lack of awareness about the illness is the reason why depression is one of the biggest silent killers today.
Depression is not just about personal suffering; it costs the nation in terms of productivity.
A. # Few Symptoms #:
– Overwhelming Sadness
– Difficulty in concentration and taking decisions
– Low self Esteem
– Feeling of guilt and worthlessness
– Disinterest in everything
– Social withdrawal and agitation
– Sleeping too less(insomnia) or too much (hypersomnia)
B. # Ayurvedic Remedies #:
1. Ashwagandha Churna- 1teaspoon with a cup of milk just before going to bed at night.
2. Brahmi Vati- 1 tablet twice daily.
3. Jatamansi Churna- 1teaspoon with honey twice daily.
4. Saaraswatarisht- 3teaspoon twice daily with equal quantity of water.
C. # Yogasanas and Meditation #:
– Savasana, Halasana, Anulom Vilom Pranayama
– Practicing Meditation daily is highly recommended.